<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Wow, the Fat Asian Baby was shocked to read in today's New York Times via Gothamist that graffiti artist De La Vega has been arrested. I have had a strange fascination with and admiration of De La Vega ever since I first saw his chalk scrawled tidbits on the sidewalks of Morningside Heights. In the ensuing years, I have seen De La Vega's words pop up on every corner of Manhattan, including inside bars, way downtown, and outside my UES office. Because his words seemed to appear out of nowhere - I had never actually seen the man in action even though his words are everywhere- he became a sort of mythical urban hero to me. Thanks to the article, I could finally put a face to the legend. This latest arrest saddens the Fat Asian Baby, though, as Gothamist points out, he is a graffiti artist and graffiti is illegal.
The Graffiti/Art discussion makes the Fat Asian Baby think of the graffiti enthusiasm of the protagonists in Jonathan Lethem's excellent novel Fortress of Solitude.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?