<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, May 28, 2004

Last night V. and I went to this tiny little cinema near my apartment that has great movies and was randomly showing Sophie's Choice. Yes, that Sophie's Choice, a movie that is at least 20 years old but for some reason this theater has decided to bring back once or twice a week. (They seem to do this sort of thing quite often. Glancing at Pariscope, I see quite a few movies playing that have long since left the theatres Stateside). I have to say, after having been to the tiny velour palace, I have no idea how they stay afloat as we were about 40% of the audience and the tickets were only about $7 each. V. claims that theatres get subsidies from the government and individuals even make donations to help defray operating costs and what not. I guess that's like the opera or philharmonic in the states? Weird At any rate, I am grateful that the French are serious about their cinema. And if you haven't seen it already, I highly recommend renting Sophie's Choice.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?