<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Lebanese Journalist Concurs with FAB 

In the Daily Star via the New York Times, Rami G. Khouri attributes the current situation with regard to terrorists and anti-Western sentiment in the Islamic World to a "home-grown sense of indignity, humiliation, denial and degradation that has increasingly plagued many of our young men and women" as opposed to oh, I dunno, some sort of inherent evilness of people over there or whatever it is our Commander in Chief thinks the problem is. As I have been muttering for several years now, the root cause is probably something more like the perceived lack of personal agency and autonomy rather than Muslims are just really into their religion and like to show it in a cruel and irrational way... which is why I didn't think the whole invading Iraq thing was gonna be such a big hit, even if it really was just to "bring freedom." Apparently George never got my memo. He seems to underestimate the degree to which people don't like to be told what to do. I myself am happier when I think that I'm my own boss and creator of my own destiny, but whatever. Maybe the President is right and that's not such a priority for other people.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?