<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

In case you haven't noticed, things have been a bit slow here at FAB central of late. It seems that having three major assignments and an exam in one week results in rather paltry blogging (which is actually rather counterintuitive for us)*. But at any rate, I thought I'd just share the abridged version of the lovely conversation I had the other night with former college suitemate, L., who is presently pursuing some sort of hyper-academic PhD at the University of Chicago.

FAB: So I was wondering if you could, like, summarize Judith Butler's main argument about identity politics or whatever.
L: Uhh, well, it's been awhile.
FAB: Yeah, I've been reading all weekend about female genital cutting and theoretical critiques of our Western obsession. It all seems to come down to some kinda of post-structuralist tension between anthropological theory and feminist theory and stuff.
L: Which book?
FAB: Dunno. I've probably already read it anyway, but I can't remember shit.
L: I think her big deal with identity politics is just that it's totalizing. Ya, know?
FAB: Yeah, everything is fucking totalizing and essentializing. Everyone's othering everyone else. That's the whole point. I thought you'd know since she's like Lila Abu-Lughod's bitch or something. She fucking loves that shit.
L: Yeah. I never actually read any of her stuff, even though she was my advisor.
FAB: Whatever, so more importantly, I had a new item at Taco Bell tonight.
L: Oooooooooh! Did you have the new enchiladas?
FAB: No. It was drive-thru, so I didn't have adequate time to peruse the new options on the menu. I had this new spicy chicken burrito. It was ok. I think I'm going to stick with the bean burritos and double decker tacos though. I was quite pleased with myself that I was able to eat three items in under ten minutes. And they gave me extra fire sauce.
L: That's awesome.
FAB: Yeah. I guess I'll just have to do some research about the new items before I go next time.
L: Yeah.

*aided also by the rediscovery of Free Cell.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?